New policies will upset passion for learning

+%28%29
()

On Nov. 20, the Student Success Task Force, a team of policy makers elected by the office of the State Chancellor, plans to pass measures that would revolutionize education.

The Task Force claims that these measures would support the development of “alternatives to traditional basic skills curriculum.”

The alternatives would require incoming freshmen to adopt an educational plan to follow throughout their enrollment.

Straying from this plan to pursue other courses would cause the registration fees for these courses to increase.

Fee hikes eliminate “educational opportunity” offered at community college.

Instead of helping students organize pursuits of interest, the Task Force focuses on addressing basic educational courses.

According to the Chancellor’s Office, 70 to 90 percent of first-time community college students are in need of remedial English and mathematics; the measures of the Student Success Task Force would require students to finish these courses in the first year of enrollment.

For first-year students, time will become as equally defeating as running out of money.

Students without a drone-like work ethic and a well-to-do corporate job will suffer the inadequacies of a poorly timed and overpriced community college system.

So how realistic are these “alternatives?”

Students struggling with remedial courses are nervous and new to college. Being a tutor showed me how discouraging it can be to learn the complexities of any language.

To force students to complete these courses within their first year will encourage students to organize their educational plan.

Another alternative would require student success goals to be consistent with statewide goals.

As progressive as this approach would seem, organizing community college to be regulated by statewide provisions or forcing students to complete remedial courses quickly would defeat the purpose of the system: to nurture a passion for education.

Passion for education, however, will be difficult to pursue if a strict regimen of coursework is shoved down the throats of incoming freshmen in order to better organize their schedules.

Community colleges are all faced with various issues that require different plans of action. If they are required to achieve specific goals, then that streamline of the educational process denies students the time needed to develop a passion for education and a community which fosters that passion.

With measures that rush organization and deprive students of time and money, the Student Success Task Force succeeds in failing the needs of students.