“The Grey” is more than black and white

In “The Grey,” writer-director Joe Carnahan brings forth a sense of dismal isolation and continuously pits the cast against perilous odds that often end in their long and drawn out deaths.

The cinematic use of handheld cameras and strong acting performances from the entire cast carry this film from what could have been another terrible rip-off of a generic movie to the intense thriller that it unexpectedly is.

Liam Neeson leads the film as John Ottway, a shooter for hire at a deep Alaskan oil rig whose job it is to protect the workers from any wild animals, timber wolves in particular, that would otherwise rip them to shreds.

On a trip back to Anchorage for a little rest and relaxation, the rickety plane carrying a large group of the men goes down during a ravenous blizzard leaving only seven struggling survivors.

The environment quickly makes its presence well known as the men are not only faced with the truest chill that the raw Alaskan wilderness has to offer, but also a pack of relentless wolves looking to quench their primal thirst.

There is a definite tone throughout the movie that is very reminiscent of a Jack London novel.

Just as in “Taken” and “Unknown,” Neeson once again puts on the protective father-figure pants and morphs himself into the badass character that comes so easily to him.

Liam Neeson is one the very few who can play virtually the same character in every one of his movies and still get away with it by being the manly he-man that easily permeates from his recognizable character mannerisms.

As the small group of men makes their enduring trudge to “safety,” slasher-style film editing depicts each character’s downfall as death catches up with them in a variety of clenched-fist, white-knuckle ways.

The wolves themselves are well animated and are depicted with a hazy aura that eerily ties in with the film’s title.

After seeing this film, I have checked off a few more phobias on my list. The horrors of drowning, being eaten alive, and worst of all isolation, among many others, are creatively portrayed in each scene. If you are looking for a simple adventure story, look elsewhere.

This is a gritty wilderness survival horror story not for the faint of heart. Great production value and solid acting carry this appropriately titled story to its conventionally bland ending and will surely give the viewer an unexpected jolt of angst and excitement well worth the cost of a movie ticket.