Transferable music degree broadens students’ options

Alex Brendel
Student Jordan Friday plays piano in the music practice room. He is pursuing the new Music Associate degree. (Alex Brendel / The Inquirer)

DVC now offers a transferable associate of music degree for students who intend to major in music.

Fifteen years ago, DVC cut all Liberal Arts degrees and combined them together to create one “Liberal Studies” degree.

With the Liberal Studies degree no longer in effect there are degrees transferring again, including an Associate of Arts Degree in Music.

Owen Lee, professor of Music Theory and conductor of the orchestra, is the man behind getting the news degree.

“The bureaucracy was a challenge and making sure it met all the requirements,” Owen said.

Lee filled out numerous forms, went through different committees and, finally, getting it through the state chancellors, who had a lot of requirements that had to be met.

Another huge challenge was making sure that his degree could transfer to as many schools as possible and met many different four-year institutions requirements for junior level transfer students.

DVC student Max Brody, who plans to transfer to the Musicians Institute in Los Angeles, says he is extremely happy about the new program.

Max said “the biggest benefit from this new degree is that it protects certain classes, that would otherwise be dropped.”

Music seminar, a class which requires an audition to get in, is one of the classes that is a degree requirement.

The new transferable music degree is a huge leap forward for the music department. Surprisingly, not many students know about this degree.

Philip Jenkins, 27, is one of the students who has just learned of this program.

“This is very exciting for all music majors because DVC has one of  the best music programs and the teachers really pass down all the knowledge they have making the learning worthwhile,” Jenkins said.

Jordan Steer, 20, said “looking into the Associate of Arts Degree in Music makes me realize I don’t want to pursue a degree in music, but I will still continue to take classes because  DVC’s music department is incredible.”

Lee says that is because the new degree has just come out online and the word if still spreading. There will be much more news coming throughout the semester for students and those who are interested in pursuing this degree.

Mark Steidel, director of media, said people shouldn’t confuse the new transferable degree with the vocational one DVC should have within a year and is currently in the works.

Students who have earned the vocational degree will be able to help students enter the work force in their chosen field.

The upcoming vocational degree will be going through the same process that the new transferable one has as well. That means going through the curriculum, administration, governing order, and lastly state chancellors.