A new Pope from the Americas

After the resignation of pope Benedict XVI, a new pope was elected on March 11. Francis I is the first pope who originated from Argentina as well as the first to take the name Francis.

Catholics are hoping to see changes within the organization of the Catholic Church, such as justice for children sexually abused by members of the church.

“I’d like to see him doing something on the sex abuse scandals”, said DVC student David Robinson.

Pope Francis I is the first individual with non-European lineage to ascend to the papacy. The new pope has shown a tendency towards altruism, offering free performances rather than charging extraordinary fees as popes before him have done.

“This is the first time having a pope from Argentina, I could see it being the first since they choose Europeans;” DVC student Don Hayes said.

While watching CNN, the new pope visited a juvenile detention center where boys and girls are incarcerated for criminal offenses, Francis visited the youth at the prison to blessed them because this would be something Jesus Christ would of done, according to him.

Most DVC students hope he does a great job as pope, most of them believe he can change many of the problems within the organization such as the sex abuse scandals, corruption, and other issues the church needs to change.

Marianna Meza said, “The church should allow women to choose how many children they have or want to have.”

People want to see changes within the Catholic Church, they hope Francis will make changes by fixing the corruption within the organization and bringing justice to many victims from sex abuse by Catholic priests. Only time will tell if Pope Francis lives up to these lofty expectations.