Person handcuffed after conflict on campus

After an altercation in the Student Services Center on Thursday Dec. 5, the person in the hat (right) was brought to Police Services in handcuffs. Witnesses said they believed the altercation was between a “student” (right) and a staff member.Photo credit: Benjamin Davidson.

Two unidentified individuals were detained around 11:15 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 5, following an altercation in the Student Services Center.

According to Erin Demoss, 19, the altercation that occurred downstairs prior to police response looked like it was between a student and staff member. Demoss said that the woman came out of the enrollment services lab, and was talking with someone who looked like a student and attempting to keep the situation under control. The person in question seemed agitated and frustrated about something. Raised voices were used.

“He was getting up in her face, and she kept telling him ‘calm down,'” Demoss said.

Campus police responded in a timely fashion, as the conflict went on for only a couple minutes before the they arrived. Officers handcuffed and escorted the individuals involved with the incident to the Police Services Office from the downstairs area of student services.

No other students or staff members were affected. However, student traffic was diverted around the Student Services Center as officers closed off the walkway between the Student Services Center and the construction site while the situation was being contained.