DVC smoking policy update

DVC smoking policy update

smoking by Julie (CC BY 2.0)

smoking by Julie (CC BY 2.0)

smoking by Julie (CC BY 2.0)

smoking by Julie (CC BY 2.0)

Courtney Donahoe, Senior staff member

Since the new smoking policy has gone into effect on September 13, 2017, it seems as if it never even happened. Students and even staff at Diablo Valley College had no idea that there was even a new policy put in place at the beginning of the semester.

“I didn’t even know about it, I think maybe it’s a good idea to enforce it more, have responsibilities the police services could uphold that would be great,” said Malia Valencia, financial aid office assistant

A student worker at the DVC library circulation desk agreed.

“I think it’s a good thing, I’m an ex-smoker so I don’t want nicotine in my body, it’s just common courtesy,” Jessica Chapman said.

The main changes under the new policy is smoking is now prohibited in the parking lots and there is a fine for violations.

“I agree with the policy, the school should provide more strict consequences” Richard Kusuma, a student worker at the International Student Office said.

One of the reasons why this policy started in the first place was to make DVC a cleaner and healthier campus.

According to DVC’s website on the smoking policy “Smoking, smoking substitutes, smoke inducing devices and vaping are considered a health hazard and are prohibited on all college property.”

It also clearly states on DVC’s website where smoking is prohibited “The use of all smoking/tobacco/vaping products as defined is prohibited on campus grounds, playing fields, walkways, roadways, parking lots, in all vehicles on DVC property and in or around the perimeter of any building.”

The fine is $25 for the first and second offense and $100 for every violation after that.

Students continue to see tobacco smoking of any kind happening every day on campus. One of the ways that DVC wants students to help with this policy is to kindly ask people who are smoking, not to smoke.

The DVC website states “on the initiative of students and staff to politely request that smokers comply and on the courtesy of smokers to acknowledge and observe the restrictions”

A number of teachers and staff members were contacted for comment but have not yet replied.

Courtney Donahoe, Senior staff member

Senior staff member, fall 2017. Staff member, spring 2017.

1 Comment

One Response to “DVC smoking policy update”

1. Anonymous on March 22nd, 2018 10:34 am

No Smoking on campus is irrelevant since smokers congregate in clusters at the entrances to campus, i.e. BFL entrance, which means all non-smoking students are required to pass through the large cloud of smoke to be allowed to go to class.

Having them congregate at the entrances/exits is the worst location since every student must be exposed to it in order to graduate & transfer.

Smoking Ban will never be enforced on campus – This is just lip service

*

• DVC smoking policy update

In face of threat, DVC campus remains open

• DVC smoking policy update

Graffiti threat found on Pleasant Hill campus

• DVC smoking policy update

DVC partners with Sentinels of Freedom for small business boot camp

• DVC smoking policy update

ASDVC advocates for students in time of harmful air conditions

• DVC smoking policy update

ASDVC expresses campus concerns to DVC President

• DVC smoking policy update

New ROV Club builds robotic submersibles

• DVC smoking policy update

The Ventura Shooting: what the public knows

• DVC smoking policy update

Safety Committee meeting reviews AED needs and concerns at the college

• DVC smoking policy update

Car drop off planned for next year

• DVC smoking policy update

ASDVC removes senators formerly a part of disqualified coalition

DVC smoking policy update