Valentine’s Day isn’t the only day for couples

Arts and Features Editor Christa Balingit (The DVC Inquirer)

The Valentine’s Day routine is pretty predictable for couples. It’s also a day that is oriented around women.

Women expect a dozen roses and chocolate. In addition, they also expect a very romantic night out, whether that means a dinner at a nice restaurant or a night out dancing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that pleasurable routine except for the fact that couples seem to only take a handful of days out of the year to do this.

As a student in a relationship, I am the first one to admit that it’s hard to find time for a significant other. Between school, work, friends, and extracurricular activities, the idea of spending an evening with anyone seems impossible.

Valentine’s Day is an opportunity to make up for all the canceled dates, conversations that didn’t happen or moments where you were just too busy to really appreciate the person sitting next to you.

Valentine’s Day is celebrated in Saint Valentine’s honor. According to legend, Valentine was martyred in the middle of February. He was executed for trying to help Christians escape before they could be imprisoned for their faith. While imprisoned, he apparently sent his first “valentine” to the jailor’s daughter, who he fell in love with while in prison.

After hearing a story like that, anyone would naturally feel thankful to be have the freedom to celebrate a day showing someone special just how much they mean to them.  However, some people only use that day to show it.

I’ve met so many people who cancel dates with their significant other. They say it’s okay as they’ll make it up on Valentine’s Day. February 14th has become a day to make up for everything you didn’t do throughout the year.

It’s also become the only day to really romance your significant other. Between busy schedules, couples tend to forget to celebrate each other and their relationship on a regular basis. One day out of the year is simply not enough to do this, especially when every other couple in the world is out doing the exact same thing you are.

Valentine’s Day should not be the only day to show your significant other how much you care. It also shouldn’t be a day centered solely on the girl.

Ladies, rather than having your guy send you the flowers and chocolates you know you’re going to get, try surprising him with a gift of his own.

Gentlemen, women love the roses and boxes or See’s candy. Just try to take some time out throughout the year to show your appreciation.

It should be a priority to take one day out of the week to take your beloved out, or just to spend quality time together. Spending 12 hours with each other on just one day can’t always make up for the little moments you’ve missed throughout the year.

February 14th is just a day to go the extra mile, but the idea of taking time out to appreciate your boyfriend or girlfriend should be demonstrated more frequently.