Home for the Holidays: Neighborhoods are changing in DVC’s backyard

I understand that some people have living situations that hinder them from being your ideal neighbor.

For the same reason one would hope that their significant other has a basic knowledge of hygiene before they move in together – the same reason one would hope that their neighbor knows how to take care of a house.

I am constantly being asked by my dad, about every other week to weed-whack the overgrown crab grass that grows from their side of the property, over our small rock wall and into our yard.

Moretti drive is a street that was recently re-paved because
of the cracks and uneven gaps in between the two curbed sidewalks on either
side of the street.

My house is located towards the end of the drive, and after
going through a series of blind turns and enduring the unprompted “Moretti dip”
that is the bane of all cars that ride less than two feet from the ground, you
would reach my house.

On my left is an older home that hasn’t had residents in it for approximately two school semesters now. Its fence is old and rotted, as it lines the left side of my backyard.

Fortunately, the property owners have finally noticed the gaping hole that fences do not traditionally have, over towards the corner intersecting both of our property lines. That same hole that has also served as a thoroughfare for the stray dogs of the neighborhood to hop through and stay the night is now finally being patched – and just in time for the holidays.

Believe me, the last Christmas present that you want is a mangy mutt on top of your AKC certified Labrador. Merry Christmas? More like bah, hump-dog.

On my right, are some section eight housing tenants that have been in the house for a little under a year now, and they aren’t the type of neighbors who you would necessarily bring a fruitcake to for the holidays.

In fact, I’m not too sure I’ve even waved at them once since they have moved in, being they live such secluded lives. For those of you who are unfamiliar with section eight housing, it is essentially a “tenant-based” rental assistance program run by the government. It allows tenants the ability to move from one unit of at least minimum housing quality to another. It also allows individuals to apply their monthly voucher towards the purchase of a home, generally the maximum allowed voucher not exceeding $2200 a month.

I remember always letting the man who lived in the same house, named Mr. Nice – I kid you not – his name was Henry R. Nice, borrow small amounts of flour or eggs whenever he asked for them, which was a rarity. But now I feel uncomfortable even saying hello to my neighbors; let alone letting them borrow food or a tool here and there, and to me, that’s a problem.

Speaking of tools, to my knowledge, my neighbors do not own a lawnmower, or anything else of that nature. The holidays are a time where you want to pride yourself on how your house looks, not be embarrassed to show it off once you get the lights on.

The biblical saying as I remember it, says, “Love thy neighbor as thyself,” and I do believe that the people who are the hardest to love, need it the most.

But I do fear that if the areas of North Concord continue to inhabit less affluent people as time pushes on, we may end up on a set to the sequel of slum dog millionaire before we know it.

So in lieu of Christmas being right around the corner, I shall say, and if there was a sarcastic font type, I would be using it: “Oh there’s no place like home, for the holidays.”