Baseball team poised to succeed

()
()

The DVC baseball team seems to be back on track after winning back-to-back conference games. Following a 9-8 victory over Delta College on March 12, the Vikings pounded out nine runs March 14 and picked up a 9-3 win over Sierra College.

The victory improves DVC’s record to 16-8, but more importantly moves the team into a tie for first with a 3-1 record in the Big 8 conference.

“It’s huge,” said first basemen David Buscovich. “It gives us a big advantage over the other teams in our conference.”   

DVC put Sierra’s starting pitcher Jeremy Cole in the stretch early and often.

“He’s a really good pitcher, one of their best,” said Head Coach Mike Neu. “We did a good job of putting pressure on him and making him throw a lot of pitches.”

DVC snatched the early momentum after getting a two-out RBI single by outfielder Adam Greenberg in the first inning. Greenberg got on base in all four of his trips to the plate and had two RBIs on the day.

Great defense and good pitching kept the game at 1-0 until the bottom of the third.

DVC sent eight batters to the plate in the third inning and managed to score four times. Third basemen Travis Kruger had the highlight of the inning, blasting a two-run home run that barely cleared the 401 sign in straight-away centerfield.

“I knew I hit it good,” Kruger said. “It was a good feeling to see it go over.”

Kruger had a big day in the middle of the Vikings lineup, going 2-4 with three RBIs.

The DVC offense never let up, adding two runs in the fifth and two more in the sixth to make the score 9-2.

“We got the leadoff hitter on and got two-out hits,” said second basemen Tyson Edwards. “That’s the name of the game.”   

The Vikings’ starting pitcher David Hurlbut shutdown the bats of Sierra College throughout the day. Hurlbut only allowed five hits and two runs over six strong innings of work.

“He threw the ball really well,” Neu said. “It’s a key to the game having the starting pitcher give us a chance to win.”   

DVC looks for more solid pitching performances and timely hitting as the team heads into the heart of the conference schedule with a game today at 2:30 p.m. at home against Sacramento City College.