Students fair well at job fair

Tuesday, March 27, the career center held 2012 job fair. Job fairs are face-to-face open meetings between job seekers and employers. This year, they hosted 31 employers and saw more than 500 interested students.

This event was held in the Cafeteria and Trophy rooms. According to the feedback survey done by the career center, 89% of employers ranked the overall event as good or excellent. “I think this is a good experience for students.

There are different types of companies, so basically, students can visit any booths they feel interested in and get some information,” said Marty Jones, a district manager from Fastenal.

“This is our first time to visit DVC to join the job fairs and we will definitely come back here again. We had a great turnout and it seems like students feel comfortable about the communications occurring in this event,” said, Rachael Moraga-Hurtado, from Mary Kay.

Student feedback was equally positive as well. According to Sarah Boland, who coordinated the fairs, of the 111 students who provided feedback, 84% plan to apply for jobs that were promoted at the fair.

Josh Varelas, a DVC student majoring in Economics was satisfied with this opportunity to get to know more businesses.

“It was really helpful especially for my summer plan. There were enough selections to look at.” However, he pointed out for the improvements, such as the room choice. “It would have been better if the fairs were dedicated the whole room instead of being located in the cafeteria regarding how noisy and distracting it is.” The vice president of Sales, Rafael Berrios from Sprint argued, “Actually I’ve heard from 8 to 9 students who had no idea of this fair. I think the school needed to promote more from the early days such as posting several banners on campus at least a few weeks before the event” However, he liked that he had more than 50 students visited his booth and talk to him.

This event was supported by many departments on campus including the Marketing Department. Also, student volunteers from Phi Beta Lambda (PBL), the Welcome Center and the Red Cross Club helped with the set-up and greeting people.