Election results

Pres. Barack Obama was re-elected Tuesday night, winning 50 percent of the popular vote and Mitt Romney receiving 48 percent in an election that saw a 49 percent (22-23 million) turnout for voters ages 18-29, according to the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE) at Tufts University. 65 percent of Contra Costa voters cast their ballot for Pres. Obama, while only 32 percent were for Romney.

Other Tuesday night winners for Contra Costa County were: Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Rep. Mike Thompson (5th district), Rep. Jerry McNerney (9th district), Rep. George Miller (11th district), Rep. Eric Swalwell (15th district), State Sen. Lois Wolk (3rd district), State Sen. Mark Desaulnier (7th district), State Sen. Loni Hancock (9th district), State Sen. Jim Frazier (11th district), and State Assemb. Susan A. Bonilla (14th district), all Democrats. Tom Cleveland defeated encumbant Tomi Van de Brooke for the Contra Costa Community College Governing Board in Ward 2 while Greg Enholm won in Ward 5.

For full summaries of the Contra Costa County election results visit the Contra Costa Elections Division

Propositions 30, 35 and 36 passed. Proposition 35 will create harsher penalties for human trafficking violations and 36 will mean third strike offenders will not receive the death penalty unless for a violent or “serious” crime.

Proposition 37 did not pass, but would have required food containing Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) to be labeled as such and would prohibit foods containing GMOs to be labeled “natural.”

On Nov. 7, one day after the 2012 election, California Community Colleges chancellor Brice W. Harris and other community college leaders held a conference in Sacramento that discussed impacts of the 2012 election results on California’s economy and school system. The higher education leaders believed voters made a wise investment for the future by passing Proposition 30. Harris said on early Wednesday that as a result, many community colleges will be spared devastating mid-year budget cuts. This means colleges can begin to serve some of the students who have been shut out of community colleges over the past four years. The measure will also stabilize funding and begin to make room for more students.

A similar initiative, Measure A, did not pass. According to an SF Gate article, if passed the measure would, “eliminate binding arbitration from the city charter, which means the city will no longer be required to adopt contracts ordered by an arbitrator after union talks fail.” Measure A would also provide funds that, “cannot be taken by the state; maintain high quality education; support course offerings and instructional programs, including healthcare, technology, and public safety; increase access to support services, and prepare students for university transfer; shall Contra Costa Community College District levy $11 per parcel for six years.” (Ballotpedia.org)