Fast and furious: parking lot drift

Parking lot 7 was temporarily blocked by a parked vehicle which apparently rolled back into the one way aisle on the afternoon of April 3. (Josh “Grassy” Knoll / The Inquirer)

In the afternoon on April 3, a student’s unattended vehicle seemed to have drifted out of a parking space to block the flow of traffic in DVC’s lot 7. Though the parking brake in the car appeared to be engaged, the car seemed to have rolled backward from it’s original parking spot.

There were a few tense moments, when students were forced to carefully turn their vehicles around and avoid oncoming traffic in order to leave.

Fortunately, many students took it upon themselves to warn other drivers and safely navigate the already treacherous, one-way aisle without any damage to property. No one was hurt and as word spread, students were able to drive around the obstruction.

The problem was resolved quickly by a full regiment of Campus Police Officers who were quick to respond. The vehicle was pushed back into place by a the officers without much apparent trouble.

When asked if their progress was at all impeded by the parking brake, one officer answered “For strong men like these two, it’s nothing.” Injecting some much needed levity into the tense situation.

Corporal K. McDonald was overheard saying “I’m not overly concerned, because we put blocks under the wheels,” when a pair of Pleasant Hill Police Department squad cars arrived on the scene.

Though the brief situation was regarded by most as no big deal, this is an example of the system and safeguards working. A potentially dangerous situation, resolved by the proper authorities with common-sense and a little bit of elbow grease, as opposed to a show of force.

The car was pushed safely out of the flow of traffic and the student was notified of the situation and the car was quickly moved from the lot all together. No fines were assessed and no vehicles appeared to have been damaged. Perhaps this event can serve as a reminder to students that Northern California is a hilly landscape. It pays to set your brake and curb your wheels.

CarBlock.jpg