Filmapalooza showcases DVC student talent

They inspired, terrified and entertained audiences at DVC’s Filmapalooza.

They battled exhaustion, time constraints and unforeseen obstacles in the 2X6 Challenge.

But DVC’s Film Club isn’t slowing down any time soon, as they are preparing for the biggest event of the semester – the eighth Aspiring Minds Film Festival, which will be held May 23 in the DVC Forum.

“It really is a calling for the best films, “ says DVC film club advisor, Richard Woodruff, who is also DVC electronics and video specialist.

“The festival has grown to be one of the best things for film students at DVC,” says DVC Film Club President Sandra Lopez. “Not only does it show our creativity but it connects the students with people they might want to work with in the future.”

Lopez speaks from experience. Last year, she worked with her boyfriend, Adrian Nava, on his film, “La Vida Loca” (“The Crazy Life”). “La Vida Loca” won two awards (Best in Festival and the People’s Choice Award) at last year’s festival.

“La Vida Loca” is currently being considered for the Sundance Film Festival.

“Between writing the script, pre-production, shooting it and editing it, I couldn’t even tell you how many hours we put into it,” Lopez says. “We worked on it for months. There was one night when we shot until 2 am. I had to be in class the next morning at 8 o’clock and then go to work afterwards. I think I slept nine five hours in a two-day period.”

Film is a labor of love,” explains Lopez. “It takes a lot of work and you’ve got to stretch yourself in all areas – creatively and technically.”

Students showcased their labors of love at DVC’s second Filmapalooza on Feb. 7. Homicide, eternal bonds and spirituality were just a few of the themes that were explored in the 13 short films shown.

“I was surprised by how talented every one was,” says Jensen David. David, a 20 year-old athletic training major at DVC, heard about Filmapalooza through a friend who is in the Film Club and wound up staying through the end. “I thought that I’d just stay for the first half. But I was surprised by how interesting every film was.”

Filmapalooza required the students to partake in every aspect of their films – writing the scripts, film editing, sound editing, camera work, etc.

For example, Lex Franklin, a DVC film major, played the title character in Bo! Campbell’s short film “Anti-Hero.” During intermission, Franklin shook hands and enjoyed the perks of starring in a film.

”The impact of Filmapalooza is huge because you get to meet other people that do film,” explains Franklin. “And if they like your film then you can build relationships.”

The opportunities to build relationships and diversify one’s skill set continued in the Film Club’s 2X6 Challenge, on Feb. 18th. While most students were enjoying a Monday off, dedicated film club students met at 9 a.m. on campus, where they were randomly divided into groups.

Each group was given six hours to create, edit and produce a two-minute film. Each group was given a genre, a line that they had to use in their film and a prop that they had to use. Students had to think on their toes, collaborate and cooperate in order to create a work of art.

“Everyone was saying, ‘It’s impossible! We don’t have enough time!’ ” says Lopez. “In the real world, you never have enough time. But you have a deadline. And you don’t always get to work with the people that you like. So the 2X6 Challenge helps to prepare you for all of that.”

The preparation will come in handy for the upcoming eighth Aspiring Minds Film Festival.

The festival “is aimed at current students from almost all colleges,” says Woodruff. “There will be judges and awards. It’s really rewarding for these students because they put so much time and so much work into all of these films.”

It’s also not too late to join DVC’s Film Club and be part of the festival.

“A student doesn’t have to be a film major to join film club,” says Lopez. “If you love film and love talking about film or if you want a deeper understanding of film, come join us.”

DVC’s Film Club meets 5 p.m. Mondays in the Digital Media Lab, which is under the library.