Hollywood producer visits DVC

Lloyd A. Silverman, a Hollywood producer, paid Diablo Valley College a visit March 27 for a Q&A; session after the showing of “Snow Falling on Cedars” for which he was executive producer. Don’t recognize his name or the movie? Perhaps you will recognize the big names he worked with during the production.

“Snow Falling on Cedars” is an American adaption movie based on the New York Times best selling novel of the same name, written by author David Guterson. The movie stars Ethan Hawke who is also famous for “Dead Poets Society” (1989), “Training Day” (2001), and “Sinister” (2012), among others. The film’s director, is Australian Scott Hicks, who achieved notoriety for the Academy Award winning movie “Shine” (1996).

The movie is visually stunning, thanks to the cinematography done by Robert Richardson, ASC who has won three Academy Awards for cinematography, one of which was for “Hugo” (2011) and many nominations including “Snow Falling on Cedars” and “Django Unchained” (2012).

The movie itself is a dramatic trial movie taking place in the 1950’s. A Japanese-American fisherman is accused of killing his neighbor who mysteriously dies at sea. The movie transports you to post World War II Washington state, as it addresses racism, revenge, and love through the eyes of a reporter, Ishmael.

Lloyd started off the Q&A; session by revealing, “It took me 10 years to get it on screen.”

He first discovered the story as a galley, or an unpublished story. He was “so enamored with this story that it resonated with me and I sent it to every studio.” But no studio was interested.

In 1994 the book was published and became the New York Times #1 best seller for 72 weeks. Yet studios were still not interested. Only once Scott Hicks got on board with Lloyd, did Universal Studios agree to back the movie. Lloyd, who championed the movie, became the executive producer.

Lloyd was asked what he does as a producer, and he responded, “Actors act, painters paint, dancers dance, and producers produce. It means you get the job done.” His job is to make sure the movie is finished.

He recommended for students interested in film to first go out and make their own video. Just by completing their film they have accomplished one of the hardest parts. “Make them. Period.” He added, “You do it because you love the process. You love the journey.” Going on to describe the process in further detail, “Making movies is not for the faint of heart.”

There are projects that will be difficult and can even fail, “this is a business where nobody is there to make it easier. You can either get it done or you can’t.”

To summarize what he learned, he said, “you need to be creating opportunities so that others can adopt your child as their own.” He went on to explain that in the film world you need to be prepared for your big break, and it may take years for your final chance.

“Snow Falling on Cedars” was his big break into Hollywood, and Lloyd was prepared. Lloyd gave DVC students a glimpse into the Hollywood big league production with an example of a man doing what he loves for a living.

Lloyd is currently producing an independent film, “My Golden Year” starring Matt Smith, the current doctor in Doctor Who. The movie will take place in the Bay Area. He also finished producing “Neon Sky,” another independent film written and directed by past DVC student Jennifer Juelech. It was also edited by current DVC teacher Tal Skloot, and color correction and visual effects were done by current DVC student Dmitry Kitsov. If you hope to rise the ranks in Hollywood or to be a part of an independent film or a TV show, remember that the first part, as Lloyd said, is to go out and make one from start to finish. By doing that, you will learn the most and begin your journey into the vast world of film or broadcast.

img 1.jpg

Snow Falling on Cedars.jpg