VMAs pushed to edge with performances

From left to right, Lance Bass, JC Chasez, Justin Timberlake, Joey Fatone and Chris Kirkpatrick of N Sync perform during the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards at the Barclays Center on August 25, 2013 in the Brooklyn borough of New York City. // Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic for MTV

From high energy performances from Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Katy Perry and many more, this year’s Video Music Awards in Brooklyn truly proved to be about the music.

One particular artist that I can’t seem to forget no matter how hard I try is Miley Cyrus. Her performance consisted of sticking her tongue out, thrusting in the air and dancing next to teddy bears. There were a few too many moments when she tried to twerk, at one point testing her moves on “Blurred Lines” singer, Robin Thicke. All of this left me confused and questioning Cyrus’ sanity.

Halfway through the show, Justin Timberlake performed a combination of hits, from old songs to new. But the best part was the performance with the four men who helped him rise to stardom, ‘N SYNC. There had been speculations of a reunion, but until you see an iconic boy band finally performing together after more than a decade you really can’t believe rumors until you see it.

After the initial shock of them actually being together subdued, it was quite entertaining to see that these guys are no longer boys in a band. Say “Bye Bye Bye” to their young physiques and hello to middle age dancing. Sorry Joey Fatone, at least you tried. By no means did this hinder the reunion; they still knew how to put on a show.

The longevity of Timberlake’s performance alone was astounding. From singing a mash up of songs, dancing, and at one point even playing the piano, this man is truly talented.

Besides the fun and light moments throughout the show, one presenter did stick out. Jason Collins, who had publicly come out as a gay athlete, explained his views on discrimination and provided some encouraging words to the audience.

“I knew that hating someone for their sexual orientation was the same thing as hating them for the color of their skin. And the only way things change is when you stand up for what you believe in,” said Collins.

Overall, the VMAs were cool, and I doubt this will be the last time we hear about ‘N SYNC and Miley Cyrus’ crazy antics.