State Budget’s fine print could cost students

Gov. Jerry Brown proposed a budget on Jan. 10 that would raise prices per unit from $46 to $127-$190 for community college students with more than 90 units. If this proposal is not amended by the state legislature, this could take affect as soon as this July. This can affect nearly 117,000 students.

According to Gov. Brown’s Budget Summary, “this policy will encourage students to identify an educational goal and reach it in a timely and efficient way, focusing on the courses necessary to complete their educational goals, while still allowing for some exploration of other subject areas.”

The budget summary also states that it will essentially “reduce costs for both students and the state, and increase access to more courses for other students.” This could be beneficial for students who have completed less than 90 units because they will be able to take their needed classes, while still only paying $46 per unit.

Not everyone agrees with this new proposal. The Student Senate for California Community Colleges’ Facebook page released a statement that opposes this new budget, claiming that California’s community college system will “be turned into a system which only serves those who have come to us prepared with the proper tools, and dismisses those who need our help the most.”

This proposal “puts a limit on students who are already in college who are exploring their interests,” claims 19-year-old Jomel Dellomes.

19-year-old Taylor Saenz is against the new budget proposal.

“The community college system is keeping me in college longer than needed and now they’re punishing me for their decision,” she said.

DVC speech instructor and former Pleasant Hill Mayor John Hanecak believes that it’s a good idea because it will support incoming freshmen, although he does have a few concerns. When it comes to disciplines or majors that require many prerequisites he is not sure “whether 90 is the right number, or [the limit should be] slightly larger, is important to discover with feedback from all disciplines.” He is also concerned that this could be a “financial burden” for unemployed or transitional students and that it will be “important for BOG waivers to be available” for students who need it.