Isaac Wang is voted in as ASDVC’s new PR Officer

Isaac Wang, ASDVC's new PR officer.

Isaac Wang, ASDVC's new PR officer.

Isaac Wang

Isaac Wang

Isaac Wang, ASDVC's new PR officer.

Chris Core and Aidan Sparks

Isaac Wang was voted in as Associated Students of Diablo Valley College’s new public relations officer (PR) with a 20 to 15 vote by the board at their meeting Tuesday, Nov. 7, after former ASDVC PR officer Robin Stewart asked to be removed from the position. 

Wang discussed some issues he thought ASDVC faced when it comes to reaching out to students.

“Students do not have any idea about ASDVC,” said Wang. “(Students) do not think it’s cool and do not think ASDVC does anything.”

The race for the PR spot was between three candidates, Dennis Xue, Sophia Bayatmakoo and Isaac Wang.

However, Bayatmakoo withdrew from the race before the voting began. The withdrawal came because she already has a packed schedule filled with numerous classes, clubs and a job. The withdrawal from the election did not stop her from giving both candidates some passionate words of advice.

ASDVC holds a special place in Bayatmakoo’s heart and she said, “PR is a great position and I only want to do it if I could give it my all.”

Bayatmakoo also spoke about how DVC students have a “lack of voice, lack of diversity and a lack of knowledge about ASDVC.” 

“I believe that the student government should be able to scale with the student body…there is a certain percentage of veterans, DACA students, etc. in the student body and they should be represented in ASDVC,” said Bayatmakoo.

Bayatmakoo explained that she, herself, comes from a country that despite it’s constant corruption has fantastic people. “It is hard for me to accept corruption as a norm. Since I have learned a lot and cared for DVC, I want it to give future students what it gave me.”

ASDVC President, Kevin Zhang, not only gave his vote to Wang but also gave power to the position in which Wang will be taking.

“Without proper publicity we cannot represent DVC students correctly,” said Zhang.

Wang’s main goal now as PR officer is to find a way to get DVC students more involved in their student government, something Wang finds to be very important.

“Being a leader does not mean you are the smartest person in the room. It’s about listening to people,” said Wang.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Isaac Wang is voted in as ASDVC’s new PR Officer”

1. Trey on November 16th, 2017 1:00 pm

You mentioned in your article that ASDVC President, Kevin Zhang, casted his vote for Isaac. The president cannot vote for ASDVC matters, except in the event of a tie per our bylaws mandate, just FYI.

[Reply]

Aidan Sparks Reply:

Hi Trey,

thank you for your comment, we appreciate the concern. Yes, you are correct, according to the bylaws, the president should not have a say in the vote. However, when the ASDVC held a roll call vote for the nominations, Kevin Zhang’s name was called, and when he said responded with Issac Wang, his vote was counted like everybody else by tally mark,

This is an unusual situation no doubt, however if this is still bothersome for you, I would suggest contacting your student government representatives, and maybe bring up your concerns with them! Once again, thank you so much for voicing your comments, on behalf of myself and the rest of The Inquirer staff, we appreciates readers like yourself who speak up.

-Aidan Sparks

[Reply]

*

• Isaac Wang is voted in as ASDVC’s new PR Officer

Messina makes her case to be next president of Diablo Valley College

Diablo Valley College president forum ends with final candidate

Diablo Valley College’s president search continues

Race for Diablo Valley College’s next president kicks off

Student literature readings at DVC

• News

Possible terrorist attack after truck ramming in Manhattan; one person in custody

Social Justice Lecture Series begins year with lecture on white supremacy

ASDVC votes ‘yes’ on campus wide education plan

Lil B attacked backstage

Rainbow Community Center spreads awareness to LGBTQ+ community