Racist graffiti found on DVC campus

The+graffiti+was+found+in+the+Engineering+Technology+building+on+the+Pleasant+Hill+campus+on+March+6.+%28The+Inquirer+file+photo%29.++

Racist graffiti found on DVC campus

The graffiti was found in the Engineering Technology building on the Pleasant Hill campus on March 6. (The Inquirer file photo).

Emma Hall, Editor in chief

Graffiti containing racial slurs about African Americans tradesmen was discovered in two men’s restrooms in the Engineering Technology building at 3:30 p.m. on March 6.

President Susan Lamb sent out an email to faculty after 9 p.m. with details on the vandalism that was spotted on the Pleasant Hill campus. According to the message sent out by Lamb, Police Services was notified of the incident and the messages have been removed.

“I have no tolerance for any behavior that seeks to destroy these values. Moving forward, we will be working with professional development to create additional resources to facilitate instructors engaging students in discussions that address racism and expand on the value and necessity of a diverse workforce,” wrote Lamb. “I know that many of you (faculty) are already engaging in these discussions within your classrooms, and I am hopeful that you will help facilitate this process.”

The email sent out to faculty regarding the racist graffiti. The memo was delivered to faculty after 9 p.m. on March 6.

Lamb also noted that counselors have been made aware of the situation in order to support students “impacted by the situation” as stated in the email.

This is not the first instance in which racist messages have been spotted on the Pleasant Hill campus at Diablo Valley College. In 2016, white nationalist fliers were posted around campus containing neo-Nazi propaganda. DVC also had another encounter with threatening vandalism towards the end of the Fall 2018 semester two months ago.

The situation is currently still under investigation by Police Services.

Emma Hall, Editor In Chief

Assistant editor, fall 2018.

Editor-in-chief, spring 2019.

1 Comment

One Response to “Racist graffiti found on DVC campus”

1. nancy r williams on March 13th, 2019 6:41 pm

The most probable instigator of this racist graffiti is a campaigner who wishes to bolster the notion that racial prejudice is alive and well at DVC. Instances of this sort of racist indoctrination are common in this political climate….witness the New Orleans shooting where the shooter was described as “a skinny white man” when, in reality, the shooter turned out to have been a local drug dealer who was not a white person at all, or the famous put-up-job of Jussie Smollett, where the racist “crime” turned out not to be anything other than a manufactured story. If the poster of the DVC graffiti can be viewed and determined to be a white racist, then publicizing the act as a “hate crime” can be justified; otherwise, the labeling is just a dose of social toxicity and a plug for popular sociological doctrine which is counter-productive and unworthy of respect.yA

*

• Racist graffiti found on DVC campus

Students of color stand up against racist hate

• Racist graffiti found on DVC campus

Concerns voiced at DVC listening circle

• Racist graffiti found on DVC campus

Lamb sends out memo to students regarding racist graffiti

• Racist graffiti found on DVC campus

More details about racist graffiti revealed, students remain unnotified

• Racist graffiti found on DVC campus

DVC devises new bond to kick-start Measure E

• Racist graffiti found on DVC campus

DVC Academic Senate speed-bumps change in parking regulation

• Racist graffiti found on DVC campus

ASDVC holds their first meeting of 2019

• Racist graffiti found on DVC campus

Millions of dollars lost from failed courses at DVC

• Racist graffiti found on DVC campus

Safety tips spread to DVC students

• Racist graffiti found on DVC campus

DVC to implement new educational bill and change to assessment tests

Racist graffiti found on DVC campus