Women’s water polo, 18th win of the season!

DVC’s women’s water polo team notched their 18th win of the season with a 9-4 victory over conference rival Sierra College.

DVC ambushed Sierra in the first quarter. Two goals and two quick reaction saves by Katie Campbell in the first couple minutes contributed to a 6-0 lead by the end of the period. Coach Millington credited strong defensive play for the fast start, saying that their positioning kept Sierra from getting situated.

DVC took a 6-1 lead into halftime, but Millington felt it could have been bigger. “In the first half we had four or five shots that just missed. We left some points on the table.”

Sierra clawed back to contention, due in large part to two shots that managed to slip by #1. After narrowing the score to 6-3, Campbell hit Nadeen Nassar on a breakaway which she promptly scored on. “They came out strong in the third, but we were able to get a goal and get back on track,” said Millington. DVC led 8-3 going into the final quarter.

The fourth quarter was a mix of stingy defense and crossbar-glancing shots. Both teams pulled most of their starters, and both scored one point each.

Millington was excited about the way his team dominated Sierra. He said the defense continues to improve, which was more than noticeable in this game. He expects big time production from his offense as well. “Our offense, when it clicks, is really good. Everyone just needs to be on at the same time,” he said.

DVC is now 18-3 (5-0 in the Big 8). Their next game is on Wednesday, Oct. 17 in Roseville against American River.